1980-1 – “SUPERKIM Meets ET-2” – D. F. McAllister (American)

Extract from 1980's article:

The articles present experiences in interfacing and programming a SUPERKIM single board computer for the control of a Lour Control ET-2 robot shell. The ET-2 (Experimental Transmobile with 2 drive motors) consist of a three level frame powered by two separately driven wheels and balanced by a free caster.

Part 2 adds the sensors to give it true 'feedback'.

The SUPERKIM controlled ET-2 robot is an excellent, moderately priced system to which the robotics experimenter can easily add more sensors and other equipment.

The contact sensors … can be used to demonstrate obstacle avoidance behaviour in a suitably prepared environment.

see Robotics Age pdf's here  and here .

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, June 6th, 2011 at 10:50 am and is filed under Cybernetic Animals. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “1980-1 – “SUPERKIM Meets ET-2” – D. F. McAllister (American)”

  1. cyberne1 Says:

    Hi Reuben,

    I designed, built and sold the Superkim.

    http://www.rotaryeng.net/who.html

    http://www.rotaryeng.net/RT1.pdf

    http://www.rotaryeng.net/IEEE-road-test-sys.pdf
    http://www.rotaryeng.net/skid-pad-C&D.pdf

    I have a bunch of parts and bare PC boards left over.

    Paul Lamar

    The Rotary Engine NewsLetter. Powered by Linux.
    ACRE NL web site. http://www.rotaryeng.net
    Youtube key word PaulLamar2
    Copyright 1998-2011 All world wide rights reserved.

  2. Playaspec Says:

    SO AWESOME!! In a momentary brain fart I thought about building this kit when I was a kid, so I Google’d it and landed here. I petitioned my parents unsuccessfully every day for six months, then the science fair rolled around! It took some time for it to arrive. I suspect the ‘company’ was a guy working out of his garage. I had it up and running in under a week. For the science fair I controlled it with an Apple 2 using the ‘annunciator’ pins in the joystick port. Needless to say the motors and relays created enough EMI to drive the computer insane, necessitating a regular reboot. I got a B-. To this day I don’t think my teachers believed I built it myself. Thanks for scanning and posting those pages!!